Saturday, October 27, 2012

Subtitle Anyone?



My book is written. I've found an agent. The proposal is in his hands and ready to be shopped to publishers. Yesterday he told me I need a subtitle. In his words, the subtitle “does all the heavy lifting to tell people what the book is about.” It took me a year and a half to come up with the title, and I'm still not sold on it. Now I have until Monday to think of a phrase or sentence or something catchy that will sum up the story. 

I have a few ideas, but short, crisp summary is not my forte. I’m much better at going on forever.  If a subtitle could be a page long, I’d be good to go. Since that’s not what I need, I’m thinking I could use a little input from others who know the story and are less close than I am to the details.

So, I’m putting out an APB. Those of you who are familiar with my book…any ideas on what it sums up to be? The title is Came the Hunter. I need a subtitle to cut through the prose and tell it like it is.

To be clear on what I need, I’ll use John Grisham’s latest book as an example.

It’s titled The Innocent Man. Right beneath the title is a banner that goes across the cover. It says“Murder and Injustice in a Small Town.”  That’s the subtitle. It tells us in a few words what the book is about.

If any of you have an epiphany...something clever that nails the essence of my story, I’ll be checking this blog, my email and my Facebook page for comments and I’d love to hear from you. Thoughts from others might help me shape my own ideas. I promise I’m good for an acknowledgment when the book comes out!

Thanks in advance.

4 comments:

  1. The "War Against Drugs" Becomes a War Against Doctors.

    The Hippocratic Oath Leads to a Potential Life Sentence in Prison

    The Witchhunt of a Pain Management Physician

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Our Battle With An Overzealous Government" Sorry I'm so late with my suggestion. I've been watching football all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with a subtitle!

    If you still need a suggestion, I keep coming to "The War on Drugs Targets (or "Hits") Home."

    ReplyDelete